Defendants charged with domestic violence are necessarily involved in a trying, emotional ordeal. Once a claim against you has been made, police are obligated to arrest you, even if the claim is retaliatory after an emotional argument. An initial charge, although considered a “misdemeanor,” can carry punishment and consequences that can cost you your job, your gun rights, and will put a permanent taint on your record. Do not take a plea to any of these very serious charges without being represented by an attorney. Our team will investigate the facts of your case and defend your legal rights when you have been accused of a family violence charge.
THINGS TO KNOW
- You do not have to CURRENTLY live with the person for you to be charged with a family violence crime. If you have ever lived with that person, even if he/she was a roommate years ago, you can still be charged with family violence.
- It is not required that you have a romantic relationship with the person or have children together to be charged with family violence.
- A charge can be treated as family violence even if you have never lived with the person. If you have a child together, this can constitute a charge of family violence.
- Being charged with a second domestic violence battery against the same person or against another person can be a Felony!
- You can be charged with cruelty to children even if the child was in another room and had nothing to do with the incident for which you were arrested.
- If this is your first time, your attorney may be able to work your case so that the charge stays off your record or be reduced.
- Even if it is not your first charge, there are other ways for your attorney to negotiate your case to keep you from having long-term consequences from the charge.
If you have been charged with domestic violence or family violence, hire an experienced attorney to get you the best result. With 10 years of experience dealing with the solicitors and district attorneys in Cobb, Cherokee, Fulton, DeKalb, Paulding, Bartow, Floyd, Clayton, Douglas, Newton, Forsyth, Gwinnett, Polk, Carroll and Henry county, Attorney Alfred will fight for you so that your side of the story can be represented. Call us immediately at 404-494-0027 to discuss your situation.