Modifying a Court Order in Georgia

Modifying a Court Order in Georgia

When a court issues an order in the state of Georgia, the parties involved are legally required to follow that order. Of course, when the court is issuing an order, they have to do so based only on the current circumstances that are present. Due to the fact that the court is unable to predict what circumstances will change in the future, they are open to modifications in the future as needed. That being said, it is essential to continue following the order that was initially issued until the court officially makes changes. If an individual fails to continue following the court order, they can face serious consequences, including being held in contempt of court.

What court orders can be modified in Georgia?

There are a number of different modifications that can be made to court orders in Georgia. Some of the orders that can be modified are as follows:

Alimony: this can be modified regardless of whether you are the payor or the payee. Some reasons to modify alimony include a change in income, a change in dependency, and voluntary cohabitation with a third party.

Child Custody: custody can be changed for reasons that may include the custodial parent moving far away from the other parent, the custodial parent acting in a way that puts the child at risk, or the child wanting to live with the other parent.

Child Support: child support can be modified if one parent has a change in income, if the needs of the child have changed, or if other issues arise.

If you have questions about modifying a court order, contact our firm today.

Alfred Law Firm, LLC is proud to serve clients in Georgia when they face legal matters related to family law and criminal defense. When legal issues arise, it is important to have the guidance of an experienced attorney that can help you obtain a favorable outcome. Contact our firm today to schedule a consultation.

Read Our Latest Blog Posts

  •  What are the Gun Laws in Georgia?
  •  How Can the Length of My Marriage Impact My Divorce in Georgia?